Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Love Dare

The movie 'Fireproof'...anyone watch it?

For those of you who didn't here's a quick run-down. It's a great movie about a young married couple whose marriage is ending. The husband accepts the Lord as his Savior as he goes through a 40 Day Love Dare. The wife doesn't compromise throughout the whole movie, in fact she getss the divorce papers and awaits his signature. Things are pretty rocky, until of course the very end. They both choose a relationship with the Lord and their marriage is complete.
I really enjoyed this movie. The acting was kinda cheesy, but the story line was great. After my husband and I watched the movie we came across the book, 'The Love Dare' and bought it.


Now let me be sure to share with you that my Preacher Man and I are not in a similar situation that I described above. The Love Dare isn't only for marriages that are struggling. The Love Dare is also built to strengthen marriages. And, as we bought this book we decided we would both go through it, but not together. You're suppose to do it when your spouse doesn't know, so your 'acts of kindness' won't be expected. If we did it together we would each know what the other person was going to be working on every day. Understand?

So, I have now owned this book for about six months and picked it up last night to begin. Each day there is a devotional style reading and then a Love Dare challenge at the end. Please let me share with you todays dare:

DAY ONE:
"THE FIRST PART OF THIS DARE IS FAIRLY SIMPLE. ALTHOUGH LOVE IS COMMUNICATED IN A NUMBER OF WAYS, OUR WORDS OFTEN REFLECT THE CONDITION OF OUR HEART. FOR THE NEXT DAY, RESOLVE TO DEMONSTRATE PATIENCE AND TO SAY NOTHING NEGATIVE TO YOUR SPOUSE AT ALL. IF THE TEMPTATION ARISES, CHOOSE NOT TO SAY ANYTHING. IT'S BETTER TO HOLD YOUR TONGUE THAN TO SAY SOMETHING YOU'LL REGRET."

I'll have to say, today was pretty easy. I truly didn't have any trouble brideling my tongue. I have a pretty terrific husband.
Now, tomorrow may not be as easy. We shall see what it has in store!

4 comments:

  1. That movie took me by surprise. A friend recommended it, but I had no idea what it was about. I LOVED it! So inspirational. I am so glad you are sharing your experience with The Love Dare. I am considering giving it a try myself =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that movie! ...we have that back lying around the house somewhere..I should probably put it to use! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who went through that book with her husband. They only lasted like a week or so, but she was real excited about it at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have this book!!!! We did the Fireproof series with our small group, saw the movie, and then bought the book!!!! I started it a few months ago, but then got really sick, and didn't pick it back up again :/ Thanks for the reminder and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete