Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Empty Nest Syndrome


For months now we have been battling wih birds. These pesky creatures continue trying to build their humble abode on my porch. This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so persistent...
Now all you bird watchers out there hold on to your seats because this may be a little difficult for you to read.

The Preacher Man successfully destroyed the starting of their nests three times hoping that they wouldn't come back. Unfortunatley while we were gone to camp this summer for a whole week they staked out their spot, merrily built their nest, and moved in all their belongings. Needless to say we weren't in agreeance to the new tenants under our porch. But since their eggs had been laid we decided to let them stay.
We have been watching these amazing creatures work each day. As their little ones hatched they became more and more protective. Each time I walk out the front door the Momma and Daddy bird swoop down like they're gonna get me. Each time I attempted to wave my one free arm while holding Ruthie girl with the other. I didn't trust them for nothing. I was protecting my baby just as they were protecting theirs!

I have been preparing to watch them take their first flight and was so thrilled yesterday when I thought it was "the day." I missed all but one little birdie take this big flight into the unknown world. As I peered out the window there was one little guy left. As I continued cooking supper the Preacher Man took Ruthie to see the birds. This is a normal event. He takes her out there and they look at the nest, from a distance of course, as she sweetly recites, "birds, birds, birds."
However, on this particular day she had a graham cracker. From this point on I do not know what the Preacher Man was thinking...but he took her cracker and tried to feed the bird. He thouht it would be "really cool" if Ruthie could watch the little birdie eat her cracker. Well folks, this doesn't have a happy ending like I would have wished. The little birdie got scared and jumped prematuraly out of the nest. He took a small flight and then landed on the ground. The Momma and Daddy birdie frantically tried to teach the little guy how to fly. I don't know if he did or not. I did not see him fly, but I did not see him die either.
Let's hope for the best.
Lesson for the Day: Do not try to feed little birdies graham crackers before they can fly.

2 comments:

  1. aww! poor thing...I'm telling myself that it quickly learned to fly and flew away to start its new life. yep. that's how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and the creepy snake by the birds nest. I guess I should have explained that it was out plot to keep them away. Needless to say it didnt work...

    ReplyDelete