Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Delicious Deception

My little Ruthie-girl has always been a good-eater. She has loved every vegetable from the beginning of time. I always felt good after a meal, knowing my little one was getting all the vitamins and minerals from her food to help her grow big and strong.

Recently, Ruthie hasn't been as cooperative. As I have mentioned before we are hitting a new phase in the life of a toddler. Ruthie will be two in about four months and she is helping me get a jump start on why other mom's put the terrible in front of the two. Let's just say she's not terrible, just challenging. :)

However, the healthy little-eater that I once knew, is taking a backseat to the Cookie Monster who lives deep inside her. My Preacher Man says it isn't that she is picky, she just knows what she likes. Well, what she just happens to like is currently: Cookies, Sweet Tea, and Cheese. Those are her favorites. She will still eat vegteables. But, she LOVES the food items I mentioned above.

So, in efforts to keep my little string bean growing big and strong with her eating habits without putting up and extreme fight every meal I am learning the Art of Deception. Yep, that's right...the Preacher Man's wife is being deceptive and loving it! ;)

The Preacher Man bought me this book for Christmas last year.

After I watched Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) on Oprah I had to have it!


(That bag is my butternut squash puree)




And, this is where the deception begins:





Rue could eat Mac'N'Cheese every meal every day. She loves it, that much!


It's looks perfectly normal...right? Except there is butternut squash in the mix. It tastes EXACTLY the same. The Preacher Man had no idea I had tweaked it. He actually thought it was a little better, he said it had a "richer" taste to it. I was soooo glad. Ruthie girl gobbled it down as usual. She still had peas on her plate too. I don't want to just hide veggies in her dishes, I want her to continue to see them on her plate. If she only eats a few of them, no worries, because she is getting more hidden veggies. It's double the fun!

So, give it a try.
I recommend the book.
There are so many possiblities!
From, coating your chicken tenders with cauliflower, baking your brownies with spinach, or your chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas! Loads of goodies in each recipe!

3 comments:

  1. I've picked this cookbook up more times than you know! But I've never bought it. I am a sucker for cookbooks. That meal looks delicious. Yummmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks fabulous! I will have to try it for sure. I have seen that cookbook but I have never purchased it. I'm always up for doing little things to make things healthier. I'm glad to hear positive things about that book!

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks AWESOME!! I love mac and cheese so I'll have to try it! Great job =)

    ReplyDelete