Monday, October 26, 2009

Small town folk

Throughout my childhood I lived in a small town. I moved from my childhood small town to a new even smaller town for my adult life without specifically choosing. I guess I am just destined to be a small town girl. Which is ok. I like the small town life. I like knowing everybody and who they are related to. I love knowing that when I walk in Wal-mart I will know at least five people. Yes, this does make the grocery shopping time frame expand, but I like it. I think it's nice to know the cashiers and waitresses by name. And, I love knowing where everyone lives. I just like the small town life.

Since we have moved to a new small town we are still learning everything. It's been almost a year and we don't quite have it all down yet. We'll keep working though and before you know it we will be back in the small town routine once again.

But, today Ruthie-girl and I went out to eat. Just the two of us. We went to a small town diner. And, because of that visit I would like to leave you with a few things I saw today that I didn't much care for about small town dining:




  • You are seated in a booth that flies swarm around your head like you're cow patty.

  • If a fly swarms the table next to you the waitress doesn't hesitate to whip out a fly swat and kill the fly ON the SURFACE of the customers table. Disgusting.

  • The check for your food is hand-written. Therefore you don't know you're total until you go to the register to pay.

  • One waitress brags about how smart your little one is for saying, "Thank You!" so the other waitress feels it's her obligation to tell you about how smart her little one is. And, she may have fudged a bit...I mean seriously your two year old can count to twenty? Sheesh...

  • The sign on the outside is flashing OPEN but the doors are still locked. You have to knock to get them to open up for the day.

  • On their dessert board they write Pumkin Cheesecake.


I know I sorta focused on the negative today. There are many positives, in fact they far outweigh the negatives. It was just an unusual dining experience. I probably won't be returning for a while. I guess I will have to though if I am going to learn all the waitresses names. Hmm....

1 comment:

  1. ha - I know what you mean! I grew up in a small town and you couldn't go ANYWHERE without seeing people you knew. Which meant, you always had to look halfway decent, and you could never expect to eat/shop/whatever in privacy. You always to be no your best behavior or everyone in the town would know about it before you got home!

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete