Today as I looked at my darling three year old, I realized the progression of mommyhood. I've come a long way, folks. When Ruthie Jane was a newborn I was overly protective of her. She was born during cold/flu season and I didn't get her out for at least a month. I was extremely nervous about taking her to church for the first time in fear that everyone would touch her little hands, in which I knew would go straight into her mouth. After our time of meeting and greeting I never failed to at least wash her sweet little baby hands off to remove the possibility of a virus entering her precious body. Overboard? Yes, yes...I know.
I've always been a bit of a germaphobe. In middle school I remember worrying about santitation more than any middle schooler should. I was bothered by the fact that someone didn't wash their hands and couldn't bare the thought of sharing the same drink with anyone. And, when I birthed my first child the germaphobe Momma is much worse than a germaphobe teenager. But, as Ruthie Jane grew older by the month I let up little by little.
The second year of her life I got a little better, but still refused to allow her entrance into a public restroom. I properly sanitized the shopping carts and had a cover that was placed over any public use high chair. I would leap across the room to intervene upon a Cheerio that had been dropped onto the ground, snatching it before she could consume it. I did however, let up on trying to wash her hands after shaking hands during the meet and greet time on Sunday mornings, but still secretly desire to wash my own hands with restraint until we walk across the lawn to go home.
Again little by little the germaphobe Momma in me fades. As we are in the middle of her third year of life I still despise germs. But, she plays with bugs, pets dogs, occasionally eats something off the floor, and yet she's still a healthy toddler. I don't worry near as much about what millions of germs she comes in contact with and I'm ok with that. I do continue to sanitize shopping carts and use a handy portable potty for the car for her, but when necessary public restrooms work just fine. However, if you look in my purse you will most definately have your choice of one of these for your sanitation needs:
Mommyhood.
Isn't life grand?
Dad.
4 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment