Immunizations.
Or immuni-blah is what I like to call them.
Today was our big day. The big day that I had been putting off for over a month. It was the day that my dear Ruthie Jane got her 12 month shots. In the past shots have not been that big of a deal. My sweet husband always accompanies me so that he can hold her for the hurt and I get to play the good guy. My job description during shots are to turn my head until they are finished, then I get to hold her and sing to her so that she will know everything is just fine.
Or immuni-blah is what I like to call them.
Today was our big day. The big day that I had been putting off for over a month. It was the day that my dear Ruthie Jane got her 12 month shots. In the past shots have not been that big of a deal. My sweet husband always accompanies me so that he can hold her for the hurt and I get to play the good guy. My job description during shots are to turn my head until they are finished, then I get to hold her and sing to her so that she will know everything is just fine.
I like that job. I like to be the one who she rests securely in. I like to be the one who calms her. I like that she places her precious head on my shoulders for comfort. I like it that my made up melody always brings a smile to her face. I just like it...
Well, today things went a little different. RJ has just recentely decided that she wants NOTHING to do with people wearing stethoacopes. She has realized that those "people" also known as doctors, make her uncomfortable. She knows they will stick things in her ears, to her chest, and sometimes even in her mouth.
Pause...
Let me rewind a little...
About a month ago Ruthie Jane had her first bout with sickness. She had never even had a runny nose until this time. So uup until this point she had only easy-going well baby visits with the usual immunizations. We recentley moved 220 miles away and had to switch pediatricans. Her first meeting with her new pedi was a nightmare, in which I believe has caused her to fear doctors. He was very aggressive, which we are not used to. Very foreign, which is fine except I couldn't communicate very well with him. And, his facility was VERY dirty. I have never seen anything like it. Since then she reacts terribly when anyone in the medical profession gets near her.
Let me rewind a little...
About a month ago Ruthie Jane had her first bout with sickness. She had never even had a runny nose until this time. So uup until this point she had only easy-going well baby visits with the usual immunizations. We recentley moved 220 miles away and had to switch pediatricans. Her first meeting with her new pedi was a nightmare, in which I believe has caused her to fear doctors. He was very aggressive, which we are not used to. Very foreign, which is fine except I couldn't communicate very well with him. And, his facility was VERY dirty. I have never seen anything like it. Since then she reacts terribly when anyone in the medical profession gets near her.
Ok, now where were we???
Oh yes...
Now, we have a new doctor. She is very laid back. Very easy and makes things very kid-friendly, as a pediatrican should. She lets Ruthie play with her instruments and tries to win her little heart. But Ruthie Jane will not budge. After the doctor quickley looked her over, the bad guy entered. The bad guy being, the sweetest nurse in the world, Lindsey. She was terrific. She was fast and right on with the shots and we were done in no time.
Now, we have a new doctor. She is very laid back. Very easy and makes things very kid-friendly, as a pediatrican should. She lets Ruthie play with her instruments and tries to win her little heart. But Ruthie Jane will not budge. After the doctor quickley looked her over, the bad guy entered. The bad guy being, the sweetest nurse in the world, Lindsey. She was terrific. She was fast and right on with the shots and we were done in no time.
Normally RJ is fine with her shots. And, for the most part of today she was. Until...dun dun dun....bathtime. When her clothes we off and her bandaids were exposed, she remembered. I couldn't get her to focus on anything but those shots. She just pointed and cried. Grant it I'm sure she is sore. And the fact that she hasn't had more than a 30 minute nap today doesn't help.
But I believe we have entered a new stage. I believe Ruthie Janes memory has kicked in high-speed.
Therefore, I don't think doctor visits are going to get any easier, any time soon.

Yes, shots must be from the devil himself. I like Ruthie's pink hat. Gracie will not leave hats on her head at all!
ReplyDeleteChloe started not liking the doctor or nurse when she was about one. We went for a visit about a month ago though and she did great! I think the phase is over. I'm sorry to say though that it took about 2 1/2 years...and we've had the same pediatrician since she was born!
ReplyDelete