Thursday, May 28, 2009

Television, Smelavision...


I hate the television. I rarely turn it on. I really believe that I could live without one in my home. I grew up watching the local channels. When I was younger I turned on the T.V. after school to watch "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?" or "Full House." But after that we never really sat down as a family and watched TV until the ten o'clock news came on. My family wasn't one that had the "tube" on 24/7 and I appreciate that. Instead we did things like take family walks after supper, sit outside in the summertime and visit in the lawn chairs, or when I was younger I would practice my best cheerleading moves outside in front of my parents. Television just wasn't important.
Now, that I am grown I still do not watch much television. I am home all day with my little cuddle bug baby girl, and we have so many better things to do! I rarely turn the "noise machine" (as my mom affectionatley calls it) on. We do watch the evening news every night. And occasionally if we happen to catch the "Ace of Cakes" on, we tune in. And, I must admit during the season of "American Idol" I do make my best effort to watch. But other than that...our television screen is blank.
Now, I say all of that to say this:
A few weeks ago while on vacation we bought Miss Ruthie Jane a portable DVD player for the car. Now, I know this sounds odd, since this form of entertainment for our family is rare. But you must know that Ruthie Jane isn't a car rider. She doesn't enjoy long trips, she hates her car seat, and she is not afraid to voice her little fifteen-month old toddler opinion on this matter. So, in efforts to ease the "pain" we made this purchase. And, along with the DVD player we introduced her to these:

The one pictured above happens to be her favorite. And, it has been a great investment. We don't pull it out until we try every other form of entertainment. But usually the last hour, she gets restless. So it is a wonderful tool that we have now. I haven't traveled alone to my hometown in fear that she would scream the whole trip. This eases my fears. I think I could successfully travel 3 1/2 hours with her without a scream fest. (I must also note: we do stop and stretch our legs for a break in that time frame.)
However, I do not want to be one of "those" moms who turn on the DVD player every time we get in the car, or sit her in front of the TV while I am on the internet at home. I think time with little ones is very important and I don't really think that television fits into the picture.
So, there you have it...
My opinion...what's yours?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with ya. I am honestly digusted by kids who always have some sort of device in their hands - game boys, dvds, yada. It is infuriating to be at a restaurant and see a family with the kids on their devices and the parents just looking at each other. What ever happened to FAMILY TIME? It's lost, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great post!
    It's weird, too, b/c I've been feeling really convicted lately about how much time we spend in front of the TV. It definitely takes away from quality family time, and I miss that special time!

    I'm gonna work on keeping that "noise machine" quiet! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, COMPLETELY.

    ReplyDelete