It's been said, "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus." So in my girlie-world I wonder what life on Mars might be like. Around this house it's frills, bows, and the color pink. There are baby dolls, purses, and glammy bags flowing from the toychest. It is definatley a Venus world around here.
So, this got me to thinking. Ya see, our sweet little girlie-girl was suppose to be an ornery little cowboy. We had blue EVERYTHING. The nursery was barnyard animals, the clothes closet was in one scheme: blue, and to top it off he even had little blue cowboy boots awaiting him. His name was Joseph Graham and it was monogrammed on hooded bath towels, blanets, and onezies. It was sealed, we were having a boy!
My mind was focused on what life would be like living with two boys in the house. What it would be like to have a mother/son relationship. Just what it would be like to have a little man.
Until the last two weeks of pregnancy. The baby showers were over. The nursery was ready. Everything was in place. And then the ultrasound showed our pretty little girl. At this point it was a little late to do anything but wait. And that we did. Ruthie Jane was born and our world was turned upside down. We went from having a Mars mind to Venus overnight. When we got home from the hospital we began returning all the blue and flooding in pink,pink, and more pink!
I was overjoyed that the sweet little one is who she is. But I often wonder, what would life be like having a Joseph Graham. How would it be different. What would he like? Instead of packing around a baby all day, what would be in his arms? How would my days be different?
Seriously, what would life on Mars be like?
Dad.
4 years ago

I love this post. I never thought about what a whiplash that must have been. I remember wishing for a girl with my first pregnancy (back in the day when we didn't know until delivery :). But, I also remember that when they placed Aaron in my arms for the first time my thought immediately was, "Oh, this is what I wanted!"
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how when we have what God gives us, we just can't imagine it any other way. I remember one of the first few days of Levi's life, I said to Darin, "I am so glad he is not a little girl." I just can't explain it but I think it's because you are just SO in love with what you have that you can't imagine it any other way. I'm glad sweet RJ was a little girl. Can you imagine life without her??
ReplyDeleteNow you need a boy. And I'll have a girl later. K?
what a neat post! I wanted a girl first..sooo bad. And honestly, when I found out we were having a boy I was kinda upset. But God changed my heart =) I LOVE "life on mars". I couldn't imagine it any other way right now--he's so precious.
ReplyDeleteI definitely do want a girl someday though! ..and all the pink that goes along with her!
=)