Now, those of you who grew up in a small town, or currently live in one now, know that when something like this happens the WHOLE town HAS to be there. This is exactley what happened. You could barely find a parking spot. This picture was ACTUALLY taken the 3rd day AFTER the grand-opening. Yes, it is still packed-out!
Please notice something unique about thie SWM. Notice there is only ONE entrance. There isn't two like normal. Yes, folks one door. That makes this a Super Mini Wal-Mart. It is twice the size of our previous WM. But, not near as big as what I've seen in most towns. Interesting....
And, this is a pictures of our old Wal-Mart. The letters have already been taken down. And, the sad little Homeland sit with an empty parking lot. On the opening day I only needed a few items, so instead of contending with the huge crowd I just went to Homeland. I was the only customer. It had been a real slow day for them!
What a great week for a small town. No longer do we have to drive 25 miles, only 15. I'm pretty excited and I betcha the rest of the town is too. I wonder what new business vendors this will bring to our town. A Chili's, Lowe's, Shoe Dept., or something of the like? Hmmm...we shall see!

McAlester got all of those after getting a super walmart but it was MANY, MANY, MANY years later.
ReplyDelete:(
ReplyDeleteIt makes me sad when places (like Homeland in this post) suffer because of Wal-Mart. Whatever happened to small town businesses? Wal-Mart wants to steal them all!! Grrrr.... Give me the days of down town shopping at Mom & Pop Shops on Main Street over Wal-Mart any day!
But if you're happy, I'm happy. :)
hey i tried that salad you posted a few days ago! Made it for my parents and also for some friends when they came over for dinner..it was a huge hit!! Thanks! =)
ReplyDeleteHa ha - yep I totally feel ya. We travelled from my small town to Claremore when I was in high school to go to the Wal-Mart, and I ALWAYS saw people I knew, so you always to to look halfway decent. But, yours sounds like it will definitely make your life easier! Yay! (And cheaper, too!) (-:
ReplyDelete~Kathryn
we had just a regular walmart growing up that changed to a supercenter. They actually were able to expand the regular one into the supercenter. It was quite the process to watch..but amazing to see the transformation. I cannot believe the size of your old walmart.. I don't think I have EVER seen one in a complex like that! Reminds me of K-mart or Ames where I grew up. :)
ReplyDelete