Monday, September 14, 2009

The Amazing Brain...


Did you know...
  • Your brain uses less power than your refrigerator light?

  • When you are born, your brain weighs about a pound. But by age 6, it weighs three pounds. What happens? Learning to stand, talk, and walk creates a web of connections in your head—two pounds worth!

  • If you ironed out all the wrinkles in your brain, it would have an area of about two and a half square feet. It feels like soft butter.

  • It is not possible to tickle yourself. The cerebellum, a part of the brain, warns the rest of the brain that you are about to tickle yourself. Since your brain knows this, it ignores the resulting sensation.

  • Your brain is more active and thinks more at night than during the day.


Last night as I was laying in bed, around 1AM, I was thinking. I was thinking about a lost object. Somewhere in the moving process we misplaced an attachment that goes on the side of a child's bed, like a bedrail. We purchased this attachment over a year ago, but since we've moved we haven't been able to locate the part that attaches the rail to the bed. We moved ten months ago and I have looked in every box possible in storage to find this crazy thing.

As I lay in bed last night, it hit me. I knew EXACTLEY where it was. It was UH-MAZING. I couldn't believe it. I laid there and tried to talk myself down, not to get so excited. I mean, what it if wasn't there? I couldn't wait until morning to see if my amazing brain was right.

Sure enough, as I hopped out of bed this morning I got on my hands and knees and looked underneath the bed. I opened up the zipper case that our co-sleeper is stored in and there it was. I was amazed. I couldn't believe the way my brain had worked. I couldn't believe that it just came to me. I was overjoyed! I was intrigued. I was in awe.

Wow, our brains really are amazing. On a funny note...when I was little I never could spell my uncle's name right. His name is Brian, but I always wrote Brain. I never could quite figure out the problem. I'm glad my amazing brain worked that out too...

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This post is awesome! Do you know how many times I've done that?! I'll be in bed and have a total revelation about something I thought was long forgotten. The brain really is an incredible thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm so glad you were able to remember where the bedrail was! I liked the info about tickeling (after I read it I tried to tickle myself just to prove the point..hehe..what a goof)

    Great post, as usual! =)

    ReplyDelete