Monday, October 19, 2009

Goldilocks



We all know the childhood story of Goldilocks and the three bears. I love the story and the vivid childhood pictures I have as the story was told still remain in my head. Now that I am past childhood, and running fiercely through mommyhood my perception of the story has changed.

In fact, I feel like Goldilocks.

Yes, that's right. Each night as I lay in my sweet lil' girls' toddler bed I know exactly how Goldilocks felt in the baby bears bed.



As I sing her sweet lullabies with my knees crammed up into my chest...
As I cuddle with her and read her a nightly story...
As I lay there and watch her just a few minutes as she has drifted off into dreamland...
As my tootsies hang through her decorative railing at the foot of her bed...


I feel like Goldilocks.

Ruthie Jane has slept in the same bed as the Preacher Man and I since she was about 8 months old. It just worked for us. Since I was nursing, Ruthie Jane didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time so it was just easiest. However, the older she gets, even though we have a king sized bed, it just wasn't big enough!

I was good and ready to get her out of our bed.
I was dreading the grueling process.

And, much to my surprise...
She went to bed in her big girl bed like a charm.

Now, we have owned her toddler bed for quite some time now. We tried it once before. But, every time we would start the process she would begin cutting a tooth, or get a cold, or something that prevented us from going through with it.

But, this time we did it. She doesn't sleep all night. I go in and get her during the wee hours of the night. But, it is WONDERFUL to have a few hours without her stealing my pillow. I am so thrilled that she loves her bed. And, I will take on the role of Goldilocks ANY day for her bedtime process.

I feel like a champion, as I sit and watch her sleeping in her big girl bed.
But, when she puts her arm around my neck, strokes my face (just as I would her), and says, "Good girl..." I feel like the Best Mommy in the World. She is so stinkin' sweet.







Next challenge: The Night-Night (pacifier)

No comments:

Post a Comment