Bill paying is not one of my favorite hobbies. In fact, I don't particularly like it at all. But, we all know it's just a part of life. I take great pride in always paying my bills on time. I've never accured a late fee, and the thought of one scares me to death.
So, let me explain to you my near death situation:
I called in a few weeks ago to make one of my payments over the phone. I've done it this way so many times I pretty much have the automated system memorized. I don't even listen anymore, I just push and go. As I was speeding through the process, I relized something wasn't quite right. When it asked me if I wanted to process my payment it told me the date it would be credited to my account. And, I stopped.
Wait a minute, I said aloud, that is the day after it's due! So, I panicked. I immeditaly hung up the phone and called back to speak to someone in Customer Service.
CSR: "Thank you for calling,.....blah blah blah...How can I assist you today."
Me: (In the calmest voice I could muster up I explained my scenerio.)
CSR: "Oh yes I see. This happens if you make you payment after 4PM Eastern Time...."
Me: Okkkkk....(long pause)....so there is nothing that can be done about this? (still talking very kindly)
CSR: Mam I'm very sorry (with fake compassion). I can make your payment process today, but it will cost $14.95 for that to be done. Otherwise you're late fee will be $39.95.
Me: (with mouth hanging wide open and sweat dripping from my brow) Umm...okkkk, so you can't even take into consideration the fact that I have been an excellent customer and NEVER had a late payment since I opened this account?
CSR: No, mam. Everything is done electronically. There is absoluley nothing I can do.
(The someting strange happened. The CSR lost me through her headset and we were disconnected.)
hmmmm........
I continued contemplating.
With small tears in my eyes I called again.
New CSR: Thanks for calling......yada yada yada.
Me: Hi, I was just speaking with another Representative and was disconnected. But, I was calling in regards to a current payment transaction....(explaining my situation)
CSR: (Without hesitation) Oh, I see mam. Well, I do see that you have been a wonderful customer since 2005 and because you have been so loyal, I can push your payment deadline to the day that the automated service says it will be processed. You will accure no late fees and there will be no fee for this transaction.
Me: Really? That would be fantastic!
CSR: My pleasure. So glad I could be of assistance to you. Anything else I can help you with today?
Me: No mam. You have done great. Thank you!
It took a moment for me to process what had just happened.
I didn't even have to suggest that I had been a good customer.
I didn't even have to ask if there was an alternative option.
She just took care of it, like I wanted, without hesitation.
It just goes to show me, it's all about who you talk to.
It's all about people (in the same position) how much they are willing to truly help the customer.
I am still in shock.
And, so thankful that I was strangely disconnected from the first CSR.
And, so very thankful that the 2nd CSR was so kind.
I've learned a very important lesson.
If you don't like what one CSR says.
Hang up and try your call again.
Dad.
4 years ago

That's awesome. I hate situations like that and you are so right. It's all about who you talk to, and I think it really helps if we are kind to them. I'm glad you got to talk to a nice one the second time! YAY!
ReplyDelete~Kathryn