Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Living in the Parsonage...

I just thought I would share some randomness about "Life in the Parsonage."

  • I live exactly thirty-one steps away from the church. This is from my front porch to the side door of the church.

  • I fear a knock at my front door when I am in my pj's and make-up-less.

  • If my fear comes true, and there is a knock....I hide. :)

  • I once read a book that said when living in a parsonage your living room should ALWAYS be neat and tidy for unexpected guests. I do my part, but I think they need to re-write that book for toddlers, then maybe Ruthie Jane would do her part too.

  • Once we had a man stop by our house and ask if he could sleep under our porch.

  • Another time a different man stopped by wanting to sleep under a tree.

  • I run around frantically on Sunday mornings trying to put things away before the Sunday School class members arrive for class.

  • I like to sing fake-off key-opera while cleaning my house. Ruthie Jane often joins in. I pray the neighbors can't hear and that the Schwan's man doesn't show up in the middle of our dramatic ending.

  • Sometimes I wonder what the former pastor families were like who lived under this same roof. What were their days like? How did they arrange thier furniture? And, who had what bedroom?

  • Ruthie Jane has a multitude of toys. If she gets bored of being stuck inside on a rainy day, we go play in the church nursery.

  • Depending on the time of day determines the way I answer our phone, since it is both the church phone/our home phone. 8 am to 4 pm-ish it's "----- ----- Baptist Church" after 4 pm I get to go back to normal and just say, 'hello". Sometimes I have to pause and think, now which one do I use....

Well friends, there ya have it. A little bit of randomness until the rest of the holiday week is over. Enjoy your friends and family as you gather for Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. Ah, I remember life in a parsonage. Not as the wife, just the PK. It can be interesting but it can also be so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A parsonage... my old church used to have one of those - they aren't that common these days, are they? That's pretty cool, though! I would be the same way - always paranoid people would come by!!

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, parsonages are becoming a thing of the past. However, every church we have served in so far has had one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parsonages are a thing of the past!? Wow. Well, come to think of it, I don't know of any around here. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking the other day that I needed to start a log of the oddities of living in a parsonage. I haven't counted yet but ours may be about the same # of steps from our back door to the church door. We haven't really had anybody drop by yet. I'm wondering if they're just trying to give us time to settle or if that is normal for here. And do you have S.S. in your house??? That's crazy! I am trying to keep the house more picked up here though than I did before. Great idea on playing in the nursery, I had that thought too but haven't done it yet. The people before us had dogs and they gnawed on the door frames. Yuck huh? Gotta go tidy up :) Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to so much in this post. I grew up in a parsonage. I remember being on the phone and people at the church would pick up because we shared the same line. lol Or random children just coming into the house without knocking before and after church. You never knew who might show up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MY do I relate! Our house is only about 10 steps from the church. Right after we brought our 1st born home from the hospital we had someone walk right into our house to ask for money. THAT was scary! I will not answer the door if my hubby isn't home. I figure it is important enough they can call and get ahold of him. Besides my house is never put together enough for people to just drop by. With having the 3 kids I have just enough time to get supper on the table each night! :) Thankfully we don't have any classes held here, though in the past we found out that our bedroom was the church nursery!!! I often think about the families that lived here before us (the parsonage was built in the 1920's) and how the house looked and has changed over the years! Also, so many times this summer after Ruth was born my two older ones would go over to the chuech nursery to play while my hubby was working so I could get some rest! There are definite pros and cons living so close to the church!

    ReplyDelete