Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Trauma

The Pacifier, or as Ruthie Jane calls it...her "Night-night." This thing is a thorn in my flesh. I hate it. I know, harsh words, but I am so sick of it! It drives me batty to see a child walking around with a pacifier. I have no idea why...but I just can't stand it. I've been going through a slow process of weaning...or so I thought. I don't know if you remember but a few months ago I started snipping the ends of her pacifiers. She would find them and call them broke. Well, we were down to two and the Preacher Man and I thought it would be good to prepare her to give her very last one away, all by herself. After talking to my BFF's mom she shared that Whitney gave her pacifier up by giving it to the dog. So, occasionally we would mention to Ruthie Jane that one day she might give her night-night to Hollywood, our dog.

The other day as we were getting out of the car Ruthie-girl said she wanted to give her night night to the dog...And, without hesitation she dropped it over the fence for Hollywood to enjoy.




Now, I was thrilled at first but deep down I was NOT ready for that decision. I knew it was going to be a VERY LONG night. She did ok the rest of the day. The only time she gets her night-night is for bedtime and car rides. If I allowed it she would suck on it ALL day long, she just loves it that much. I am so glad we limited her use at an early age.




She thought it was really funny that Hollywood had her night night. What she didn't know was that daddy quickley went inside and got some waffle syrup, but it on the other end of the pacifer so that Hollywood would take it, because at first she could have cared less if it was in the yard.



And, of course we took the pacifer and discarded it as soon as Ruthie Jane went inside because Hollywood really didn't need it. :)


Back to the story....
I thought things were going well durning bedtime. She had her milk and snack. I was singing to her, rubbing her back to calm her down, and at one point we even turned on her favorite show Hi-5. But after a few minutes of these techniques she realized we weren't going to get her pacifier for her and she threw herself a fit. After reassuring her a hundred times (very calmly) that it was ok, Hollywood needed the night-night, and she was a big girl for giving it to her...she exploded.

*Side-Note: Ruthie Jane is known for throwing up when she gets upset. She usually works herself in such a tizzy that she begins to release things in a vomitting fashion. She has done this in the church nursery when I left her to play. When I had a babysitter came to watch her (the ONE and only time). So, this was nothing new.

She vomitted everywhere. Not just a little upchuck. She exploded. It was all over the bed, on the wall, in the Preacher Mans facial hair, on the carpet, everywhere!  N.O.T.H.I.N.G could calm this child down except for a night-night. So, since we were all covered in throw-up we took showers and began the search for a lost night night.

I knew a few weeks ago she had lost one in the house. It had never been found... We tore the house up looking for that crazy thing! Finally it was recovered at the bottom of her toy box. She was thrilled and asleep in no time.

I don't know what we are going to do. But it is clear that she is not ready to give her night-night up. I know all children are different, and I am just going to be patient and let her get rid of it. It will be hard, because, well you know my feelings...
If you have any suggestions, please share!

Thanks Hollywood for playing along. You're such a good doggie!


8 comments:

  1. Oh, Amber, I feel your pain. Aaron did not want to give his up. It was a long battle. You already have part of that battle won, though, since you only allow it at bedtime and car rides. I say just stick with that routine for now. It is a small thing to give her comfort when she needs it and you and Kenny some peace at the same time. Really, it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous26/1/10

    OH Dear..I feel you 100%!! We let Livy have her paci at bedtime and car rides. Well, on Sunday we were in a hurry so Derick dropped Livy off in the nursery while I went to S.S. class. When church was over, I went to pick Livy up and she was running around with her paci in her mouth. I FROZE!! I said, "Where did she get that?" The workers said she had it in her mouth the whole time. Derick forgot to put it in his pocket when he dropped her off. I don't allow her to have it walking around our house or in public either. I have really beaten myself up over the paci and a lot of ppl have given me different suggestions. After talking to Derick, we decided that she is OUR baby and when we feel like it's time to take it away for GOOD then we will. So..we feel your same thought, frustrations, and feelings. (I bet R.J. and Livy would be the best of friends:) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - I can't imagine. God doesn't give us anything we can't handle (even in the land of binkies) - I don't know how I'd handle that. So, I'm glad Alex had a smooth transition. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No suggestions, friend. I, too, hate pacifiers after a certain age. I agree w/ Katie, though. Every parent has to do what's best for their child. So don't sweat it, for sure, if RJ's not ready. We did the same thing y'all did & slowly took it away. Eli also only used it for car rides & bedtime. As soon as he would fall asleep I'd take it away. Then, I'd try him without it for bedtime or a car ride. He'd do ok one night & need it the next night. I just gave it to him when he seemed to need it (no stress), but never when he didn't & he was done w/ it at a year old. As much as I despised pacifiers I just never made a big deal out of it so I think it wasn't a big deal to him. That last statement sounds like I think I know what I'm doing. I don't. I promise you, I don't think that at all. I know better.

    Can you potty train my child for me, please?????? More than I hate pacifiers I hate potty training. Hate.it. You seem to have that one down!! Phooey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sent Jeffery's away with the "lulu" fairy. That's what we called them. We put them in a sack and told him she would pick them up when he went to sleep and leave him a surprise! We bought him some new little toy, I don't remember now what it was, but that was the end of it. We also looked at the Farmers Almanac and did it on the best day to wean. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you're frustrated. As my dear Mother would say, "This too shall pass". This little crisis will be good story to share with RJ when she's a teenager. Hang in there!

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really, I doubt she will still want it at 16. Don't sweat the small stuff. I remember with our oldest when my husband decided it was time (did you notice I said my husband, I wasn't ready for it)I remember him standing up in his crib screaming at us. But it really just a couple of nights that he threw a fit. Good luck in what ever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. Little Ruthie is such a funny little girl! It was so much fun to hang around her this past weekend! I don't really have any advice. But you're a great mom--hang in there!

    My mom hated that I sucked my thumb for so long. She didn't have the option of cutting the end off of that "night night" haha! I finally just fell asleep one night without my thumb and woke to the realization that I didn't have to have it to sleep anymore. I felt like such a big girl!

    ReplyDelete