Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What's in a name...

Ruthie Jane will soon be two and there isn't much she can't say. She talks all the time and forgets nothing. She picks up on the funniest sayings and uses them often. I make up rhyming words a lot and she enjoys using them too. For instance we call eggs "egger reggers" and going potty "going peepers."

In the last few months she has picked up on our first names. Instead of us being Momma and Daddy she has figured out our real names. It's cute when she calls her daddy Preacher, and it's even funny when she calls him his first name and a nickname that only his close family calls him. It even made me chuckle when she started using my first name. My family calls me by my first and middle name which she picked up on that too.

This was all fun and games until it never ended.
It was cute and cuddly until she kept it up out in public.
She calls me Amber 24/7.

I politely correct her and reinforce that my name is Momma, but she doesn't care. She likes to call me Amber. It's Amber this, and Amber that all day long. I didn't think too much of it until people in our church congregation began noticing. The other nursery moms began asking, "Does she call you Amber?" But now it's getting a little weird when we are out in public and she looks at the Preacher Man and says, "Daddy" then calls me, "Amber." It's frusturating, because after all I did give birth to this child.

It's strange to have such a sudden switch. She doesn't even have to think about it. When she wakes up in the middle of the night crying, she hollers "Amber!" and before it was always "Momma!" I was just getting used to being called Momma and I really liked it. I am hoping she outgrows this phase real soon. I like my name. But, I like Momma better.

Oh well, a phase it may be, she's still my Ruthie-girl.

She's so sweet...
when she's sleeping. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I am sure it is just a phase. Mine never did that. Even children know how strange a name Verla is! You might try not answering until she calls you Momma. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/2/10

    oh that is too funny. I don't know what I would do if Livy all the sudden said "Katie". hehe. I'm sure it's just a stage and she'll be calling you MAMA in no time:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I couldn't help but burst into laughter last week when she called you Amber again and again. It was just funny to me that she didn't even have to think about it - it just came out! HAHA. I know it's not so funny to you anymore and I know she'll grow out of it soon. It'll be one of those things that you look back on and laugh at. :) So sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of Alex doing that - I like Verla's suggestion though. I want Alex to call me Momma!!

    ReplyDelete