Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shine

Tonight as I look outside the window my surrondings aren't so dark.
It seems like this new light helps me to see for miles.

This light I speak of is a new church sign.The sign stands between the parsonage (our house) and the church building. Normally it is very dark in this rural town. No businesses, street lamps, or stoplights to shine, other than the few houses that leave their porch lights on it's dark, very dark, for miles. At least fifteen miles to the nearest place of civilization. As I sit here in the dark the light from the new sign even shines through the blinds, as if saying, "Hey look at me!"
And, I listen.
I can't count the times I have looked outside to read that message on our new lit sign.

I can't help but stop and connect with the fact that this is how my life should be.
I should be that  bright light that shines in the darkness of this world.
My life should show the goodness of the Lord so that those around me stop and notice.
Even if there isn't light for miles, my daily life should shine bright.

I know that shining my light for the Lord isn't optional as a christian. But, sometimes that light can get a little dim when bogged down by wordly influences or the corrupted state of our environment. I don't want to fizzle or fade in to the background. I want to shine.

So, let this be as sweet of a reminder to you as it was to me.
Join with me.
Shine.

Matthew 5:13-16
 "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thought at Easter time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed getting to know you through your blog!! I have given you a couple of blog awards. You can check them out at http://a-steady-rain.blogspot.com/2010/03/ive-been-awarded.html. Keep up the great work and I hope you have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete