Thursday, April 15, 2010

Debt-Free


I think being debt-free is probably an ideal stage of life for most. The opportunity to look around your house or when get into your car, just knowing you own it. There aren't any large monthly payments hanging over your head, there's no risk of losing your home if you lose your job, and your monthly budget is a lot more comfortable than it once was.

The Preacher Man and I have over the last few years began doing small things to cut our budget and our weekly spending. Each week we sit down and write out our weekly expenses and put every other last penny into our savings. We didn't have a huge amount of debt hanging over our heads, but it was debt nontheless.

I am proud to say that this year we have kicked our debt-free mode into high gear. We have paid off more debt this year already than we had in previous years. And, we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. We have removed all of our debt, including a truck payment, except for one. The Preacher Man has a small school loan that is still haunting us, but we plan to have it paid off by the end of the current year.

This is very exciting to us because the amount of money going out each month is slowly becoming less and less of what is coming in. We are able to save more for our future and worry less about the present. The Lord has provided abundantly for us since we have married, six years ago and I am thrilled that we are becoming better stewards of what He has intrusted us with.

I think when the last payment is made for his student loan we will have a huge celebration. A huge celebration within our means of course! So, I challenge each one of you to join me on the road to Debt Freedom!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous15/4/10

    Awesome Amber. We went through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class and it was awesome. We are paying Derick's school loan off at the end of this month, then we will be completely DEBT FREE!! We too, will be celebrating. We are so excited. Good job on being dedicated to getting that debt down.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We have some looming medical bills but other than that we are debt free and it's sooo great!

    ReplyDelete