I think the heart of the home is the kitchen.
I love cooking a fantastic meal surronded by my loved ones to eat.
I love having friends over or going to their house to visit and enjoy a great meal.
I love the opportunity to share the fruit of my labor with anyone who will take it!
But along with that comes a fear.
I've been cooking since high school and am confident that I can put together a meal that will please all. I love to bake and am thrilled when I get the opportunity to share my goodies with others. There is always an ounce of fear when this happens. A fear of something not turning out right. A fear of something foreign being in the food. Just a wild and crazy fear.
Our Women's Ministry hosts a ministry called H.U.G.S. This team of women prepare meals for those who have had surgery, a new baby, or are ill. The evening that the family comes home from the hospital or we hear of someone being sick the phones start ringing.
One of our young couples at our church just received the blessing of a sweet baby girl. So, my night to prepare the meal was Monday. I always rack my brain trying to come up with a meal that is home-cooked comfort food. Something a new mother would like along with the rest of the family. This time I gave a new recipe a try. I opened up my PW Cookbook and made her Chicken Pot Pie with the Perfect Pie Crust. Here's a quick look at the meal I brought:
A yummy Salad:
See the Goodness oozing from this pot pie!
It's packaging:
Their packaging:
I like to put everything in throw away containers because...
A) What sleep deprived Momma wants to do dishes. B) I don't have to worry about getting any fancy smancy dishes back.
And, I love to place scripture on each container. Just a fun little verse, who knows maybe they will memorize it while eating! Anyway, this is such a wonderful ministry we do at our church. Everyone is so appreciative and enjoys each meal. We usually do it for three days. We have had a great response! So, hats off to H.U.G.S. (Hands Under God's Service)!

The verses are a GREAT idea! I just made a meal for a family that had a baby last week. next time I will use your idea about the verses.
ReplyDeleteAnd I am EXACTLY the same way. I always look really closely at whatever I make. I'm always terrified something will be in it. eek!!
~Kathryn
I love that you put verses on them. What a sweet personal touch!
ReplyDeleteoh amber, it all looked delish! I too, loved the scriptures on all the food. I will have to steal that neat little idea:) What a wonderful, sweet pastor's wife you are!
ReplyDeleteAmber, I love this!!!! First of all, I just made PW's pot pie last week for the first time, and YUM!!!! You're right, perfect for a new mom! Plus that salad and cookies look delish! I just hope that someone will bring me such a tasty meal, packaged with love and the encouragement of scripture. I know that the recipients of your feast will be well blessed with your thoughtfulness!
ReplyDeleteThey all look amazing. What a wonderful way to spread love around. SO much more personal than store bought things.
ReplyDeleteI TOTALLY get your fears. I am the same way. Even when we have company - just family - I fret about how the food will turn out. I haven't poisoned anyone yet!
I love the scripture idea as well. Throw away containers are a must OR purchase dishes at the dollar store or yard sales and specify that they are to keep them. New moms, those who have had surgery and all the others we support in this way do not need the burden of returning someone's prized china platter or crock pot.
ReplyDelete