Thursday, June 24, 2010

Warm Towels


The Preacher Man and I will be married 7 years in December. Someone recently told me that the 7th year is the most difficult in marriage. They said it is the time when you have children, jobs, obligations, and life is so full that your  marriage gets put on the back burner. This older person spoke of these things because of the recent marriages around her that she had seen crumble around the 7th year. She referred to it as "The Seven-Year Itch."

This struck me.

It made me look around and see the many things that fill our lives. I looked at how much time I devoted to Ruthie Jane and how I at times put the Preacher Man second. I must be honest, this is very easy to do. Ruthis Jane is much more needier than the Preacher Man, or maybe she is just much more vocal about her needs. Whatever the case may be, it got me to thinking. I started going through my memories of the newlywed days. The sweet acts of kindess that I would look for to show the Preacher Man I cared. The ways I went out of my way to make him smile. The little things I would do to make him feel special. And, one thing stood out.

It's simple.
No cost.
Just...
Warm Towels.

You see, when we were first married I would get a towel out of the cabinet and throw it into the dryer while the Preacher Man took his nightly shower. As soon as I heard the water in the shower turn off I would rush to get it out of the dryer and give it to the Preacher Man to dry off. He loved it. He loved a warm towel. He too would return the favor at times, and it was delightful.

I am making it my goal to conitue to look for things like warm towels.
No matter how busy things get, how tired I am from chasing Ruthie, cleaning house, cooking three-meals a day...

I'm going to look for ways I can:
show my appreciation for all that the Preacher Man does.
show him I am still head over heels for him.
show him he is my top priority (other than the Lord, of course!)

What are some little things you do to make your sweetheart smile?

1 comment:

  1. Warm towels, how sweet Amberly. You think of everything don't you! The one thing that I do for Kevin that makes him so, so happy is also a very simple one. On the days he rides his cycle to work, I have the garage door open for him so he can just ride right into the garage without having to fumble for his garage door opener. The first time I did this for him, he kept thanking me and thanking me. I had no idea I had done something so profound.

    ReplyDelete