Friday, July 23, 2010

If the parsonage walls could talk...


As I was galloping throughout the halls of the parsonage today playing with a wildly energetic two-year old, I posed this simple question to myself. If the parsonage walls could talk, what would they say?

Would they tell of...
  • The Preacher's Wife singing "I'll fly away" in her best opera voice?
  • About the perfect Preacher's Kid, who decided it would be better to sit in time out rather than pick up her toys in her room? Yes, she really did this, just yesterday. She willingly sat herself in time-out to avoiding cleaning. It didn't work.
  • The frightened Preacher's Wife that went frantically to the gun closet because someone was beating on the door at midnight. Although it ended up just to be a boy-scout returning the tables and chairs they borrowed for their cook out. Why at midnight, I have no idea. Maybe I will volunteer to do a special Boy Scout training on Manners.
  • The man who gave his life to the Lord sitting on the living room couch as he wept at the thought of all his sins being forgiven.
  • The aroma that comes from the kitchen three times a day, because the Preacher's Wife refuses to eat out on a weekday.
  • The sweet Preacher who kneels by his bedside with a heavy heart for the lost and the hurts of the congregation.
  • The injustice this Baptist Preacher's Wife does to the word "dance" as she uncontrollably jigs to her new Hanson cd.
  • The sweet sound of a little one singing Jesus loves me.
Each parsonage we live in I can't help but imagine the previous family who lived there. How did they arrange their furniture? What pictures were on the walls? Which room did they choose as the kids room? And, what would their walls say?

3 comments:

  1. I kind of have the same feeling with Army housing. I am sure that there have been many different families that have grown and changed in this same house I have. It's amazing to think about, but it kind of grosses me out at the same time. I know the house is clean but I can't help to think of how many other people have used the toilet in my house....hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the parsonage walls could talk.....that's a very scary thought!!! Great post. I think that most people would discover, that contrary to popular belief, the pastor and his family struggle with the same things everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a neat post to read, Amber! What an interesting thought to think. All the past years of families of faith who lived there and how they did things. It was neat to see what all goes on between your walls too. I loved the one about the gentleman giving his life to Christ in your home. Awesome! You guys are doing a great work for Christ. Keep up the faith. And that's AWESOME that you refuse to go out during the week, cooking three meals a day. I'm ashamed of myself! I've been cooking a little more lately, but I've got a lot more work to do! =)

    ReplyDelete