Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Meet Tatie

Yep, Tatie the Turtle.
Oh, the joy of letting a two-year old name her pets.

She's kinda shy.


I know you're thinking we are going pet crazy right now. We've been through a billion goldfish and now a turtle!? Let me explain, please.

You see before we began the fish journey we debated which pet would be the best for our family. I wanted a turtle. The Preacher Man insisted on a fish. Obviously he won. We now have our beta, Mr. Purpie. On Sunday a couple of our youth boys brought Miss Ruthie Jane this itty-bitty turtle they had found. They had no idea we were even considering a turtle prior to the fish. So, in comes Tatie.

I'm super excited to have Tatie.
But, I am super overwhelemed at the same time.

We've prepared, researched, and worked so hard at keeping Mr. Purpie alive (which he is a breeze compared to stinky ol' goldfish), that I hadn't thought another thought about a turtle. Then a turtle shows up on our doorstep. I wasn't so prepared for Tatie. She is in a make-shift home, with make-shift food. We've began the researching on how to care for her.

I'm just in a major contemplation mode.

Do I want a reptile to take care of?
Do I want another tank to clean and feed?
Does Tatie belong in the wild?
Should she be freed to her natural environment?

So many questions.
Now I ask you.
Help me!

Have any of you ever had a pet turtle?
Was it a good pet?
Easy to care for?
Or should she be let free?

Tatie is a red-eared slider turtle. Her kind is common in Oklahoma. She's beautiful. We thought about putting her in with Mr. Purpie. After research, that's not such a good idea. Mr. Purpie would eat be eaten alive.

 Now, let me hear your input!

4 comments:

  1. I had pet turtles all the time growing up. You might have a bit of a red flag by the phrase "all the time", that's because I was only allowed to keep it for two or three days max. I would love on the turtles and then my parents would make me release him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never ever had a turtle.
    Or a pet, for that matter.
    Yes, I was a sheltered child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've found a few turtles...but they just keep them in a box for a few days outside. Never inside yet. We hav fish...chickens...a bunny and 3 labs though!! I know right??

    Btw...your an okie? I caught that. I'm in Owasso...are you close?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ryan brings home all kinds of turtles.. we had a pet one for a while.. they eat grass.. lettuce, carrot shred... and drink water and some even like to swim.. we kept ours until the fall and then let it go and hibernate(sp?).. Her name was autumn ... my husband brings homes all kinds of animals!! He is very outdoorsy and so if you ever have any pet questions.. I can probably ask him questions for you:) u should keep her for a while.... my husband thinks you should keep it:)

    ReplyDelete