I've never been lake material. In fact my tootsies never entered lake water until my sophomore year of college. It was my first swim in the lake, and I haven't been in lake water since. I'm just not too sure about getting in water in which I can't see the bottom. My family never owned a boat, reel or rod, and never did any sort of water fun. My Nana lives right on the lake and the small town I grew up in is surronded by a lake. I guess I just like to look at it's beauty and stay away from it's creatures.
The Preacher Man has never been a lake guy either. However, he has ALWAYS wanted a boat. Pontoon, bass, or whatever he just wants to own one. His Momma tells stories of when he was in high school he and his buddy, their foreign exchange student, decided they were going to go rent a boat for the day. They were pumped about the possible adventure, until life-saving Momma came to the rescue. She didn't permit this boating adventure to take place, but from that day he pledged his boat ownership.
I always roll my eyes at the mention of a boat. Mainly because we don't have an extra five grand, or whatever one might cost, to purchase a luxury of this sort. I don't mind the Preacher Man going fishing with his buddies, but they have to supply the boat. Every summer it's the same routine. The Preacher Man starts looking for a boat and figuring out ways we can buy it.
He's a mess, that Preacher Man.
This summer the Preacher Man has "Boat Fever" more than ever. He drools over any resemblence of an object that floats on water with a cubby to hold fishin' poles. And, he just happened to stop by the other day when he saw a Boat with a giant ply wood, spray painted FOR SALE sign on it.
He told me about it.
I blew it off.
He took a boat guru to go look with him.
I got nervous.
He offered the guy a third of what he was asking.
The guy accepted.
We own a boat.
Now, before you skim through the pictures let me warn you...
It's a piece of junk.
Ok, in all fairness - it's a fixer-upper.
This boat definately won't be ready by the end of the summer. But, it is the Preacher Man's project and I'm glad for him. His nose is ALWAYS in a book, he's always checking on others, making hospital visits, phone calls, doing for so many. This boat will be an anvenue of rest. Rest for his mind. Something to focus on besides all the demands that surrond him.
So...
Behold, here is our boat...
Yes, it is completely trashed out. But, what do you expect for $100?
It needs new carpet, seating, motor rebuild,
you name it...
it needs it.
He is as proud as punch.
I'm not too sure about this boat. The guy who sold it said he traded his bow and arrows for this boat.
Hmm....
Doesn't sound like much of a trade.
Oh well, this begins the Chronicles of Boating.

LOL; Amber! That's hilarious. I hope it doesn't cost as much as a new boat to fix it up! I hope y'all have so much fun on it. Sometimes I wish we were laki people.
ReplyDeleteSo funny! I never knew boats had carpet...
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! My parents have a little place on a lake in Kentucky. I grew up out on the water. When I was younger, my dad bought an old boat to fix up. I remember it being a lot of work for him, but so worth it in the end! Good luck! :)
ReplyDelete