Sunday, September 12, 2010

Susie Homemaker

I realize that  homemaking isn't for every lady. I understand that we all have different hopes, dream, joys, and frustrations. It just so happens that I am made to be at home. I am completely satisfied with doing nothing more than tending to the needs of my husband and child as I serve in ministry. I am living out my life long dream as a ministry housewife.

A lot like being a career woman, I set goals and have deadlines. Although mine don't have obligations like a major company, meetings in the corporate world, or even the possibility of any kind of monetary raise or climbing the ladder of success. My deadlines are more like five o'clock the Preacher Man's hungry, 45 minutes my loaf of  bread is in need of a punch down, or company's coming and the furniture has to be polished before mopping the floors.

I chuckle on the inside when people tell me they would bore to easily of being a housewife, because it seriously feels like I can never get caught up on my workload! I just thought I would give you a glimpse of a day in the life of this Susie Homemaker...

This weekend my parents were able to visit our humble abode. I treasure the time we have to spend with family. I love to see Ruthie Jane with her grandparents. Even though granparents aren't TRUE company, I try my best to make them feel special. And, nothing says "Welcome!" more to me than homemade goodness!

Friday started out with this:

I finished up blanching okra to put away for later use. A sweet couple in our church brought us a load of okra, too much to cook before it spoiled, so put it in the freezer.

Beautiful!

My little sidekick.
With me EVERY step of the way!


Cornmealed and ready for the freezer!
Then it was bagged and ready for later use.
This is seriously the BEST okra ever. I just can't expain the difference fresh frozen okra is compared to store-bought.
Out. Of. This. World.

Next on my to-do list...
Homemade bread.
I'm not talking pop it in a bread machine bread.
I'm talking knead, rise, punch, rest, and bake bread!

Last weekend the Preacher Man's folks came and I made them Honey Wheat Bread. This week I opted for plain ol' white bread. And, it was rather tasty!


There's just something extra good about homemade bread.


And, it makes a boring ol'sandwich into something special.


Next, per the Preacher Man's request. Deceptive Raisin Oatmeal Cookies.
You will soon find out what is hidden in these bad boys. But for now just know they are made of whole-wheat flour, that's why they appear so dark in color.


And, my last creation of the day.
And, my greatest success.
My first successful Chocolate Cream Pie.
Complete with the Meringue on top!


I laugh each time I think of the first homemade chocolate pie I made. The Preacher Man and I hadn't been married long. We had invited a dear man named Joe to our house for supper. He was the sweetest country boy we'd ever met. He still holds a special place in our heart. I cooked what every good Preacher's Wife should cook for down home-cookin'. We had Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Corn on the Cob, and Chocolate Pie.
Well, we should have had Chocolate Pie.
And, we would have....
If the filling would have been so runny.
We would have had to eat it with a straw!

Needless to say, I threw it out and popped in some brownies or something to cover up my kitchen disaster. I will never forget that meal. The Preacher Man and I had only been married a few months. And, to be honest...I hadn't tried to make another Chocolate Pie in the last 7 years, until this day.

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!


And, I am so grateful that I am able to hold the title of housewife. I am thankful for the Lord's provision and the satisfaction He brings me as I fulfill my career.

Maybe I should change my name to Susie.
Because I am a Homemaker.

5 comments:

  1. Super impressed with all your housewifery - especially the homemade bread. Looks delish! Your family is blessed to have such a caring wife and mother to take care of their needs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a triumph! That bread looks AMAZING. I can about smell it through the computer!

    Would you be shocked if I said I did not know what okra is? Don't think we have it in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always makes me laugh, too, when I hear women talk about being bored at home. I can't even imagine...I've always got so much to do.

    Your bread looks beautiful! Do you use yeast or a starter? I have a sourdough starter that I like to use.

    And your pie looks delicious! Congrats on your success:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum Yum! Your post made me hunnnngry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I whole-heartedly agree--being a ministry housewife is the BEST! Just wish we were in the same area so I could taste that okra! YUM! We don't even have okra here! All your food looks beautiful and most delicious!

    ReplyDelete