Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Naptime

Naptime is a glorious time of day. As a stay-at-home momma, I look forward to those few hours of quiet. I love my sweet girl, but a Momma needs some time for herself. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
She's definately sweet, when she's sleeping...

707
(RJ 2 months)

This is my time to sit, no laundry is done, no floors get mopped, and no furniture gets polished.
It's my time to connect with the outside world. I take this time to peek at Facebook or write a blog.
It's my time to manage the paperwork of this household. Pay bills, make phone calls, or write a letter.
There are some days when naptime can't come fast enough.

However, there has been a slight alteration in my days. Unfortunatley Ruthie Jane has come to a point in her toddler years that naptimes aren't as necessary. She'll take a nap, but not until around 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Once she gets to sleep she wants to sleep until 6 o'clock and if you wake her up early you may as well of ran a hungry bear out of his cave, because she isn't a happy camper.

1207
(RJ 14 months)

So, after much discussion and contemplation the Preacher Man and I decided that maybe we should stop naps. I cringed at the thought of losing "my time." But, I agreed joyfully at the thought of her going to be early. You see Ruthie Jane is a spoiled rotten child. She has always been a night owl like her mommy, and since we didn't have anywhere to be in the mornings we let her stay up as late as we did. So, her routine wasn't exactley the best for bedtime. This left little or no time for the Preacher Man and I to be able to spend quality time together. So, just the thought of being able to have some uninterrupted time with the Preacher Man made the scenerio all worth a try.

Therefore, last week we began cutting out naps. Ruthie Jane never missed them. She was delighted that we weren't laying down to visit sleepy town. And, I'm delighted that she is asleep by 9 o'clock in the PM. So, far it's working well.

The only drawback is figuring out when I can have some "me" time. If my blogging becomes hit and miss, please know that it's the "No Naptime Dilemma" that's interferring. Besides, who has time to blog when this little monkey is running around??

031 (2)

3 comments:

  1. Ahh...naps. How I miss them. My daughter napped faithfully in the afternoons until she was three, my son did the same until he was nearly five. I can even remember those blissful days when my son was first born and he and my daughter both napped at the same time:)
    Oh well, we're onto a different phase of life now, aren't we? And it's wonderful, too. Although some quiet down time in the afternoons is still good for mamas. That's always a great time for a video or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be glad that you instituted an earlier bedtime once she starts school. It will make for a smoother transition. And, you will enjoy having grown up conversation without a toddlers' input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our boys have long outgrown naps, but long ago I read an article that said "alone" time helps children develop concentration. SO, our boys are given a little alone time with a few books for just around 30 minutes. It gives me a little quiet time and they're learning to concentrate...I hope!

    ReplyDelete