Thursday, December 2, 2010

New Family Tradition

I find family traditions to be extremely fun. I love the excitement that it builds and the cherished moments traditions bring year after year. It seems that tradition and sentiment become a greater priority now that our lil' Stinker Britches is getting old enough to realize the difference between holidays. So, this year we started a new tradition that hopefully will be dear to our hearts for MANY years.

The Twenty-Four Days of Christmas.
I found this idea here.

We began by coloring and cutting Christmas trees.

009

It's sweetly-obvious the Christmas trees that Ruthie Jane colored.



This one cracks me up.
I let RJ be in charge of picking out my crayon colors.
She must have thought it was for Halloween...

011

She feels SO big with scissors.

012

And then I punched a small whole through each tree and placed them numerically on a string. This is a little different than the instructions suggested, but it works for us!

016

The Preacher Man went all out on this one. He insisted that it have a tree skirt.



014

On the back of each of these trees is a family activity. Each day Ruthie Jane pulls one off and we see which activity we get to do as a family. I also tried to correlate planned activities with the countdown dates.

019

And, there you have it.
The newest Christmas tradition of the Preacher Man family.

017

Our family activities included things like:
-Drink hot chocolate.
-Attend a Christmas party.
-Watch a Christmas parade.
-Call grandparents and sing a Christmas carol.
-Watch a Christmas movie.
-Go out for some holiday ice cream.
-Listen to Christmas music.
-Have Christmas Light Night.
-Have chocolate gravy for supper.
-Wrap Christmas gifts.

Just to name a few...
What about you?
What are a few of your family Christmas traditions?

3 comments:

  1. What a cute craft! It sounds like you are off to a great start for the holiday season:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trees look so sweet! What a fun idea! We love to make gingerbread houses and watch Christmas movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (a) That is a fantastic wonderful idea!! I will definitely adopt it when I have children.

    and

    (b) What in the world is chocolate gravy and why have I never heard of it before?? Sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete