We had Chocolate Gravy a couple of times. This is the Preacher Man's all time favorite meal. I can fix it morning, noon, or night, he'll eat it with great delight. I realize this may sound very foreign to most of you. In fact it was foreign to me until I married the Preacher Man. After I got past the weirdness of having a chocolate pudding tasting gravy smothered over my biscuits I realized it's quite a treat. My MIL sweetly taught me her recipe, in which is only committed to memory. There isn't a recipe card, nor any measurements. It's just a dump, melt, and taste recipe.
The ingredients:

First, you get a whopping spoonful of butter.
And, melt it.

Then add milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, and sugar into the saucepan.

Once it's mixed in together add the Cornstarch for your thickening agent.

If it needs more cornstarch, to avoid the lump-factor mix it well with milk before adding.

Then you've got yourself a nice pot of chocolate gravy. You can eat it many different ways. The Preacher Man likes to tear his biscuits in tiny pieces.

Then he likes to flood those pieces with gravy.

I, on the other hand prefer mine to the side. I like to delicately dip my biscuit in the gravy. If you can delicately dip a fat-filled biscuit in a large portion of calorie-packed gravy, I do it. :)

And, that my friends is chocolate gravy.
Straight from the kitchen of the Preacher Man's parsonage.
A tradition proudly taught by the Preacher Man's Momma.
Chocolate Gravy.

I have never understood the chocolate gravy idea. To me it is warm chocolate pudding which is a delight all in itself. Who needs the biscuits?
ReplyDeleteMmm...we LOVE chocolate gravy here! I'd never had it until we lived in Alabama for a few years and now it's a favorite. We don't have it often, but we gorge ourselves when we do:)
ReplyDeleteokay that has got to be the strangest sounding idea and the weirdest thing i have heard...
ReplyDeleteFinally someone else who makes Chocolate Gravy... everyone thinks I'm crazy but is is delicious!!
ReplyDeleteI just started reading your blog (and love it!). Do you have any idea as to what kind of measurements are involved with the chocolate gravy? It looks awesome but I totally don't want to end up making a huge amount and it tasting horrible! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThat looks Ah-Mazing!!! I am one who CAN NOT for the life of me make anything without measurements. Is there anyway you could give even a close measurement on the ingredients. I've been wanting to make this since I saw you post it...but can't even think about trying it without a little more guidence! :) :) Thanks!
ReplyDelete