My family has never been a pacifier family. In fact, when Ruthie Jane was given a pacifier in the hospital my mom almost flipped her lid. Since then, EVERY time she sees one of those "Silly" things, she reminds me of how pacifiers are "for the birds."
This was a big decision for me. I contemplated over it the first week of her life. I was truly torn, I know seems silly now, but I couldn't decide whether or not to continue to give her this controversial sucking mechanism.
However, I realize that not all babies need/want a pacifier. I have heard of some babies not even taking a pacifier. I am glad that we gave Miss Ruthie Jane one. She must have had an extra need for sucking, because she LOVES her pacifier. She affectionatley calls it a "Night-Night." She totally came up with it's name all by herself. I suppose it is because she ONLY gets it for naptime/bedtime or for car rides.
Before long this will all change. I have recentley started the Night-night weining process. Every couple of weeks I cut the end of her night-night off. I got this method from a friend, and thought I would give it a go. Of course I secretly take scissors to it, place it somewhere for her to find..and she confusingly exlaims, "Broke?" and throws it aside searching for another. So far it is going well. She doesn't like the broken night-nights.
I would like to have her broken from the night-night phase by the time she is two. This is just a few short months away. But, I am in no seriously hurry. So, if it takes longer it's totally ok.
I dread the last night-night. I dread the day that she goes searching for one that isn't broke, and can't find one. Then what?
Will she cry?
Will she be ok with it?
Or will she rob her princess piggy bank and secretly buy her a new one the next time we go to Wal-mart?
Stay tuned.

What a great idea! Ethan loved his soothie until he was about 3-4 months old...then he discovered his thumb. uh oh. I was a thumb-sucker. I hope he can ween himself off earlier than I did!
ReplyDelete...that last paragraph made me sad! Just picturing her searching and not being able to find one! (I can tell I'm a mom now!)
Ruthie Jane is such a sweet heart! And your comment on my blog was so cute =)
Love this post. I did something similar with Aaron's blanket. It was becoming so raggedy so everytime I washed it I would cut it smaller, cutting off the strings and frayed parts. One day he noticed that it was getting
ReplyDeletesmaller and asked about it. I told him that every time I washed it and got it out of the dryer is was getting smaller. He said, "Mommy, don't wash it anymore."
My granddaughter was addicted to her pacifier; and since she was getting close to Age 3, we all worried about her breaking the habit. Of course, the one night I had her stay over, her mom and dad couldn't find it! After her bath that evening, I hugged her close and told her there would be no pacifier that night. She told me "ok gramma." I reminded her of it again just before she went to bed, and it was "ok gramma" as if she was thinking 'I heard you the first time gramma.' And so she went to sleep with no pacifier and no problem and has been pacifier-free since! Hope you have it easy as well.
ReplyDeleteI was so happy to read this. Derick and I decided to start trying to take the paci away from Livy(it's her BEST FRIEND). I have been dreading it. She just turned 1 so I'm not fretting yet. Let me know how it goes when you completely get her off of it! I scared:/
ReplyDelete