Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Testament

Last week a sweet gentleman called our church. I answered the phone, because I am not only the Pastor's wife, but his personal secretary too. Although, I don't have an office, or a desk, I still claim the title.
He called our church office to ask if someone could type his testamony. I was thrilled. I didn't know why he wanted it typed, but if I could assist I was willing. This got me to thinking...
I share many things with you, dear bloggy friends, but I've never shared the most important. I want you to know how I came to know my Lord.

I grew up in a very strong, conservative Southern Baptist household. I began going to church as a wee one, and have continued throughout all of my adult life. There have been many things that have shaped me throughout my Christian pilgrimage, and I want to share a few.

I gave my life to the Lord when I was around six years old. I understood what sin was, that it was in my life, and that Jesus Christ died on the cross to forgive me of it. I walked the aisle and made public what the Lord had done in my life on a Sunday morning. Since I was only six years old I didn't have any baggage to get rid of. I had a child-like faith that the Lord used to touch my little heart.

I continued to live for Christ throughout my middle school and high school years. The Lord blessed me with an amazing group of friends that would hold me accountable to my Christian walk. We were normal teenagers, but held at a higher standard. We still had crushes on boys, frustrations on the cheerleading squad, and great fun prom dress shopping. I am so thankful for these friends that I truly believe were God-sent. This group of friends I did my first bible study with as a freshman in high school. This group of friends I attended camps, conferences, and concerts with. And, eventually I even took one of these buddies to college with me.

I went to college with my BFF, Whitney, for the first year. It was a wonderul experience at a Private college. We had a great year, but the next I decided to move back home, and attend a State school. The State school I attened had many more temptations. I met different kinds of people, was called to rush Delta Zeta, and was put into situations that I never dreamed of being in. I share all of this because my committment to the Lord never waivered. I continued to study God's Word daily, attend with my local church body for every service, and share with other's what the Lord had done in my life, when given the opportunity. Although, different scenrios were thrown at me, different than I had ever faced before, I did not give in. Many find that after accepting the Lord at a young age, that they didn't really understand what they were doing. I want to make it very clear that I have no doubt that as a six-year-old girl I was sold out to Christ.

I knew that the Lord had prepared me to serve him through ministry. I felt he had called me to do mission work, not knowing whether it be state or forgein missions. I was thrilled that the Lord would use me in such a way to share His truth. Not long after I married the man of my dreams, who also had a call to ministry. He had a different calling, a calling to preach God's Word. As we have now been married for almost six years, I know my calling is to be his helpmate. I know the Lord placed the two of us together to serve Him. Although, I thought I might someday be in Africa or Hati, the Lord has given me an equally great opportunity, as a minister's wife.

I am in awe each day as I see life unfold. I see the Lord's goodness and grace fall upon my family every single day. I am thrilled to tell you that this grace I speak of is for each of you too. No matter your current situation, no matter your past, and no matter the baggage you carry, His grace is sufficent for you!

Let me share with you how to make this comittment:


Admit you are a sinner.
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" (Romans 3:23)
"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" (Romans 5:12)
"If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (1 John 1:10)

Be willing to turn from sin (repent).
Jesus said: "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." (Luke 13:5)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" (Acts 17:30)

Believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried, and rose from the dead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners. Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

Through prayer, invite Jesus into your life to become your personal Savior.
"For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:10)
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

What to pray:Dear God, I am a sinner and need forgiveness. I believe that Jesus Christ shed His precious blood and died for my sin. I am willing to turn from sin. I now invite Christ to come into my heart and life as my personal Saviour.

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1:12)
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Thank you for reading. I pray that the Lord speaks to you today.
The Christian life isn't always the easiest. I hit the highlights of my journey so far, and am grateful that I was able to share with you. It's not always picture-perfect. We all go through different hardships and heartaches. But, the amazing part is that the Lord always meets you where you are!

I want to challenge other Christians to share their personal testimony on their blogs too!
Ready, set, GO!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. :) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Whitney--loved the post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete