Saturday, September 19, 2009

Magic Words


I've always heard that the "magic words" were please and thank you.

I'm pretty proud of my little Ruthie girl because she learned to say, "Thank you!" very well at a very young age. Strangers oohed and ahhed at her as she politely said "Thank you!" to any compliment that spoke. Waitresses couldn't get over her polite little spirit as they filled our tea glasses. Needless to say these kind manners got her a lot of attention, and she liked it. She has had it down for quite some time now and few months ago she began saying, "Pllleeeaassee." This has been all fine and dandy, and the Preacher Man and I felt a bit of accomplishment knowing that we had a well-mannered little lady. Since then she has learned to say, "Excuse Me" and "Sorry" but is still working on "Your welcome." All in all we felt like she had learned the "Magic Words."
However, it seems this precious little toddler of mine has come up with her own set of 'Magic words." Somehow she has figured out a way that she can control certain situations. She has figured out that if she says the words, "hurt" or "tight" she can pretty much get whatever she wants or get out of whatever situation she doesn't like. Yes, I know this seems crazy for a nineteen-month old to learn this sort of manipulation, but it's true folks.

Example #1:

We were heading out of Wal-mart recentley and as I opened the car door to put her in her carseat, she look pitifully at me and said, "Hurt." I realize that as you read this you are thinking, "Aww that poor little girl. Her mommy must tighten her carseat straps too tight." Negatory. No matter how loose I put them on she still says the magic words in hopes that she won't have to ever ride in that stinky (not literally) thing again.




Example #2:

Anytime we go to put shoes on I sit her in my lap and proceed the shoeing and she exclaims, "tight!" Again, I know you think I am cramming her precious little tootsies into a shoe that's a size too small. But again, negative. I just recentley took her to the shoe shop, got her foot measured (which is a whole other story), and found out that her shoes fit just fine. In fact she is a 5.5 and her shoes are a 6 with room to grow.


Example #3

This one is our newest. She has learned that when it's beditime/naptime she can say, "Eat!" and she delays her sleeping time. As soon as she is just about asleep she pops up with her request. It did work the first few times. But, ha ! I've got her number now.


Now, as I embark on this new phase of toddlerhood I get a little nervous. I don't know what this little mastermind will pull out of her sleeve next. She's a very bright child, which makes the discipline process even harder. I never knew I would have a strong-willed child because that is not in either mine or the Preacher man's make-up. We were both very easy going and easily entertained. Ruthie Jane on the other hand is very strong-willed, stubborn headed, and my-way-or-the-highway type personality.

I love her beyond measure. And, I hold fast to the fact that she has been created perfectly for the Lord's glory. Every little characteristic she holds, every frusturating strong will she clings tightly too, and every my-way-or-the-highway idea she comes up with...it's all for a His perfect plan. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to get her to channel those precious characteristics in a way that will be pleasing to the Lord in the future.


I must say...


I have my work cut out for me!

2 comments:

  1. It is scary when they learn how to manipulate. At first, you just can't believe that such an angel would do that! Ah, but you learn. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wowza! Your work is cut out for sure! HAHA! Maybe she's being like you when you were a little girl. If she gets a little redheaded friend, tell the poor girl to be careful. ;)

    ReplyDelete