Thursday, November 12, 2009

Get a Grip

Mommying.
It's not an easy task.

I know everyone thinks we just stay at home all day, watch T.V., munch of goodies, and play with the kiddos. However, they neglect to think about all the other duties that are our sole responsibility. Now that I've got that out in the open, I can move on. Because orginally that is not my intention of this post.




I've just come to realize that I finally have a "grip" on this mommying thing. It's taken a while, one-year, nine-months, and seven days to be exact. But, I think I've finally gotten in the groove.

Our first year was rough. Our little pumpkin didn't sleep much, we were just coasting through our sleep-deprived days, we made a major move, and had a lot of adjusting to do. The Preacher Man started the Master's program at a Southern Baptist Semiary and his work load increased incredibly. We took it one day at a time and survived!



Now that Ruthie Jane is almost two, I feel a sense of relief. I have a load of less worry, we're getting sleep, and the adjustments are easier every day. Ruthie Jane has become my lil'buddy. Going out and about with her is so much more fun. I do more by myself, and don't have to take nearly as many things! It is like a whole new world.



I know that no two mommying experiences are the same. In fact, I know this first hand because no one told me how difficult the first year can be. I love my little puddin' pop with all my heart, but she wasn't the easiest, laid-back, non-demanding baby. Her little personality is so different from what I had anticipated, but now that I've got her number, I wouldn't change her one bit!

My days are routine. I've figured out juggling a toddler, keeping the house clean, and getting supper on the table at five o'clock sharp every evening. I've managed standing behind a hard-working graduate student, a self-sacrificing Preacher Man, and an amazing husband. And, I'm successfully figuring out the roles of a wife, mommy, and pastor's wife one day at a time.

I am just so thankful I've gotten a grip.
I am grateful to be in the place knowing that I'm ahead of this game.
I am so thankful the Lord has allowed me to be a mommy.
And, when the time comes I'm expecting our next little lad to be laid back and super easy....

2 comments:

  1. Yes, our days are difficult! It seems like no matter how much I clean, I'm always behind. It's definitely not easy, but always interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!
    Things are definitely easier with Ethan than they were, but I still haven't quite gotten the "grip" yet. Hoping to soon!

    Keep up the good work, Mommy!

    ReplyDelete