Today is Billy Graham's birthday.
Billy Graham has been an inspiration to me since I was in high school.
I love to collect his books, learn about his family, and keep updated with the ministry the Lord has chosen him to be a part of. I feel a common bond with his wife Ruth, do to the fact that she too felt called into the mission field, then married a man who was called to preach God's Good News. The interational mission field she thought she would be a part of changed to local missions as she supported her husband as he spead the Word.
Miss Ruthie Jane was named after this sweet woman because of the great respect I have for her. As I prayed for my husband, my Preacher Man, I shared her heart as I prayed as she did:
Dear God, I prayed, all unafraid
(as we're inclined to do)
I do not need a handsome man, but let him be like you.
I do not need one big and strong or yet so very tall,
nor need him be some genius or wealthy Lord at all.;
But let his head be high dear God, and let his eyes be clear,
his shoulder straight, whate'er his state, whate'er his eartly sphere;
and let his face have characher, a ruggedness of soul,
and let his whole life show, dear God a singlenss of goal;
then when he comes (as he will come)
with quiet eyes aglow,
I''ll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago.
The Lord granted us both amazing husbands that have a deep longing to see the world come to know Jesus Christ. The Lord has used Billy Graham in a huge way to impact generations and I am so grateful for His example.
For me today is a day of celebration.
I celebrate the way the Lord can use common folks to do uncommon things!


It is so wonderful to have heroes in the faith. I think it is wonderful that you have a story to pass down with Ruthie's name. Happy Birthday Billy.
ReplyDeleteOH BILLY! He is one old guy. And a precious soul.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. I loved the poem!
ReplyDeleteBilly Graham is an amazing man of God!