Sunday, January 17, 2010

And, the beat goes on...

I have become quite the world traveler lately.
Ok, so maybe I've just been away overnight twice by myself in the last 6 months, but the fact that this stay-at-home mom drove over two hours all by herself....Well, that classifies me as a world traveler in my books. :)


This weekend I headed out for a Ladies Retreat. It was just me, Patty my PT, and Bonnie the GPS. I popped Sonny & Cher into the cd player and cruised to the oldies. After almost an hour of driving I realized I had forgotten my toothbrush. It's a good thing Bonnie knew where a Dollar General store was located because I made a quick trip off the beaten path to purchase a few items.

 I know I've bragged on Bonnie before, but seriously she is my Patty's best compadre. She led Patty and I to the retreat center without a problem. I was beginning to get a little worried when we insisted that I exit WAY before I thought we would, and she took me throughout all sorts of small towns. Once we reached a town called "Slaughterville" I thought maybe I had stepped onto the scene of a horror movie...but Bonnie knew where we were going all along. Thanks for the adventure Bon.

After arriving at the retreat center I took a deep breath and relaxed. I knew this retreat was going to be a fantastic time with women across the state relating on the topic of Women's Ministry. It was nice to not be "in charge" of anything. No one was looking to me for instruction or to keep the ball rolling. Our state has a fantastic team for Women's Ministry that planned such a great weekend. I was able to meet many other women with a heart for women, and many other pastor's wives, which is always nice. I roomed with a woman whom I had never even met. She was absolutley wonderful. I so enjoyed talking with her and getting to know her. The Lord truly used this weekend for me. We were equipped with new ideas, resources, and were able to discuss a wide array of topics. I was the youngest WM Leader there, so I was able to glean lots of insight and help for our new WM team. I am so grateful to have been a part of this wonderful weekend. I am so thankful for the women I met and the refreshing I encountered.

 On Saturday I packed up my belongings and journeyed back home to see my loves. It seemed as if I had been away forever! As I parked Patty in the driveaway my lil' puddin' pop was standing at the door with a great big grin. She hugged me and said, "Mommy, miss you." And, of course the Preacher Man did the same. What a sweet way to end a wonderful weekend.


6 comments:

  1. Seriously, Slaughterville? That's where my parents lived! And my sister Rhonda lives there now! You were perfectly safe the whole time. I am glad you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a refreshing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous17/1/10

    so glad you had a nice weekend! the hubby and I have only been away from each other once... and it was bittersweet. our reunion was beautiful.
    Happy week ahead!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the homecoming is the best part of being away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your pink and purple outfit! And excited about when Bub can say stuff like, "miss you mama..." Talk about melting your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog! I loved reading this post--my mom always went to Women's Retreats when I was growing up, and it always sounded like the most fun thing in the world. I've never actually been on one myself, but maybe someday. :)

    P.S. The pink and purple is a super-cute women's retreat outfit!

    ReplyDelete