Monday, February 8, 2010

Preacher Man Calzone

This year I am making an effort to get out of a cooking rut.  I fry foods, mash potatoes, and make gravy. Of course there is always a veggie or two thrown in the mix but it's just kinda the same ol' stuff week after week. It's all good food, but I am making a comittment to my very food versatile Preacher Man that I will get out of my southern fried rut.

So, in my efforts of running from the norm I am going to take one day each week and try something new. I am going to find a new recipe of some sort to spice up a hum drum mealtime. I am really excited about this and so is the Preacher Man. After receiving the Pioneer Woman cookbook I have been trying some new fun recipes. Last week I tried the Cowboy Calzone. I've renamed it the Preacher Man Calzone because I tweaked it to fit his likings.

First, the rising dough. I am currently a big fan of yeast. I love breads. :)

Next, the skillet concoction.
I used sausage  and rotel.


Added a little pepperoni and pineapple.
Next time I will use crushed pineapple instead of chunks.
You live and you learn.


Here's the cheese mixture.
Next time I will omit the ricotta, I think.


Next. the rolled out pizza dough with the Calzone goodness inside.


Ready for the oven.


Don't forgt to brush them with olive oil to make them beautifully brown!

In the meantime, I made some Buffalo Wild Wings.
Preacher Man thinks these two things (calzone & wings) are a match made in heaven.


Wing Dip.
 I am a HUGE fan of this dip.
It adds a huge kick to some mediocre wings!


And, the finished plate.


Beauties.


Leftovers were wrapped back up and tucked away in the fridge for another day.
They re-heat wonderfully this way too!


I will definatley be making this recipe again. It was a real treat!

8 comments:

  1. Brandon is DYING for me to make these! Ever since he bought me the cookbook (months ago!) he's been drooling over the pics. I'm so scared of yeast, though! I've never attempted anything that calls for yeast. Ahhh!! I'm going to have to break down and just do it! Your meal looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy. I love the Fiesta Ranch dip, too. Your Preacher Man is a lucky fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your calzones looked wonderful, Amber. You've inspired me. Love your blog and looking forward to following along. Thanks for stopping by at Off the Beaten Path. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Love The Pioneer women!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmmy! That looks fantastical. And RJ's B-day party was just adorable!! :) I cant believe she's 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! calzones with homemade dough. That is a big step. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job!! Made me hungry just reading about 'em!

    ReplyDelete