Sunday, May 23, 2010

Buttercream Icing

Last week was the last pre-martial counseling session for a super-duper sweet young couple in our church.  The Preacher Man had it over at our house since it was just nailing down last minute details for next weeks wedding. So, I hopped in the kitchen and made some cookies for the occasion. Not just any ole' cookies, but fantastically yummy sugar cookies with wonderfully delicious buttercream icing. And, of course I tried to be crafty and make the heart shaped cookies look like wedding dresses. I've got some work to do on perfecting the decorating part, but the cookies were splendid!



My favorite part is the pearls!







And, now I would like to share with you the Buttercream Icing recipe. Seriously, it's to die for. The Preacher Man eats it straight out of the mixing bowl! Enjoy!

Ultimate Buttercream Icing


½ c. solid vegetable shortening
½ c. butter or margarine
1 t. vanilla extract
4 c. confectioners sugar
2 T. milk
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

Yield: 3Cups

6 comments:

  1. I think the cookies look adorable. How fun that you went to all of that trouble for the couple. Great, now I want a bowl of buttercream frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable, Amber! I loooove buttercream. Yum Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! You have to try a little tuxedo one for the grooms. Not sure about black icing though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23/5/10

    those look fantastic. I must try this buttercream sensation soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber! Those are so precious! I don't think I've ever made a cookie that cute. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those cookies are GORGEOUS!!! And I want to eat one right NOW!!

    ReplyDelete