Ruthie Jane loves loves loves the park. She loves to be surronded by other children playing outside. She is quite the little social bug and mother hen when it comes to our park adventures. Usually we go during the day when all the children are at school, so there aren't many kiddos playing. But last week we ventured out one evening after supper to play before it got dark.
As I was pushing Ruthie Jane on the swingset I looked around and much to my surprise most parents weren't using this park time as interaction with their children. Besides myself there was only one other person, a grandpa, playing with a child.
I was baffled.
I looked around and there were parents on the park benches, standing by trees, even one standing in the middle of the playground. They all had one thing in common. They all had their texting fingers out. Every single parent was glued to their phones without a care in the world. My. heart. broke.
My heart broke even more when Ruthie Jane had to say, "Excuse me" to the Mom who was standing in the middle of a big toy right in front of the slide, not even realizing she was blocking the way of children playing as she texted with one hand and held a baby on her hip with the other.
I know technology can be good. I know there are many instances in which it has come in handy for myself and my family. I don't leave home without my phone, it's kinda like a security blanket just in case something happens. But, it was a huge wake-up call in the modern world of technology for me when I saw the many parents who were tired, still in their work clothes who were trying to give their children some time but couldn't put down their phones to do so.
I don't know what they were doing.
Checking their e-mail?
Talking to a friend?
Updating their Facebook status?
Checking the weather?
Reading a blog?
I don't know.
But, I do know that whatever it was...
It wasn't more important than those priceless moments that they had the opportunity of enjoying with their children. I wish I could have shared that with them. Who knows, maybe their reading my blog. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment