Thursday, September 16, 2010

Native American

In these parts of Oklahoma  Native Americans are thick, they are commonly referred to as Indians. The tribes differ throughout the state and I personally am part of the Cherokee tribe. Since we have moved to foreign land there are few of my kind in our current location.

I always felt a little funny being called an Indian. The mental picture I get when the term is spoken would look something like this: dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin, and a last name that resembles some sort of animal (Blackfox, Bird, or Squirrel). Anyway, that is the view I grew up around.  As you have probably guessed I do not fit an ounce of the above mentioned description. But, if I handed you my Cherokee registration card you would see just how native this American is.

One item of food that is always a hit amongst the members of any indian tribe is Indian Fry Bread. Where I grew up the schools had fundraisers selling Indian Tacos. When we were in youth ministry the wrestling team would deliever Indian Tacos to your place of employment for a fundraiser once a year. There was always a guaranteed great turn-out/purchase order if Indian Fry Bread were on the menu. I must admit, it's delectable.

I've recently started making this traditinal bread as a treat for our family. It's just something out of the ordinary that we really enjoy consuming. I did not grow up on it, except for fundraising events but it will leave your tummy satisfied every time. And, because I love each of you like family I thought I should share the recipe with you. Hold on to your socks, because it's yummaliciously easy.




I hope you can read the recipe above...


Okay, so maybe not the most healthy meal of all time.
But any food is good in moderation.
:)


Now you pile these fried pieces of goodness high with all the normal taco toppings. Then you grab a fork and begin enjoying the satisfying taste of Indian Fry Bread.

2 comments:

  1. I love Indian Fry Bread but never would have guessed that to be the recipe! YUM! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mine with pinto beans, taco meat, cheese, tomatoes and salsa. So good. If I am going to eat one out it has to be at Del Rio, Tahlequah-the Tahlequah Taco!!!!

    ReplyDelete